Tuesday, July 1, 2008

School "services" lost and the Classical Education Model

My BFF is worried that my kids will lose the public school services if I homeschool. That is, even though her kid is in a private school, she's still entitled to "services" such as audiology through the public schools. Psht! She lives in a "blue state"! I live in a "red state", and believe me, we won't be losing services -- because there aren't any to begin with.

The school system here only provides services based on the "academic model". That is, if your child can move himself from the classroom to the cafeteria, he doesn't need physical therapy. If your child can print legibly, he doesn't need OT. If your child can speak without a lisp, he doesn't need speech. Voila -- my kids don't need services! See? Not missing much. My health insurance covers better than that.

New books bought for school this fall:

  • Second Grade Success: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn
  • Third Grade Success: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn
  • Homeschooling: Take A Deep Breath - You Can Do This! (really good for lesson planning)
  • The Everything Kids' Science Experiments Book: Boil Ice, Float Water, Measure Gravity
  • Addition the Fun Way Book for Kids: A Picture Method of Learning the Addition Facts
  • Times Tables the Fun Way: Book for Kids: A Picture Method of Learning the Multiplication Tables
I looked at "What your Third Grader Should Know", but it was so uptight that one could imagine the popsicle stick up the author's butt. The classical education model does nothing for me. Oh sure, my kid should read Good Literature, but hey, he won't. Maybe they're trying to bore the kid into submission...

No comments: