Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mayhem, murder, and hens

It's been a fast-food week. Not necessarily McDonalds, but "fast". The Boy has been at Vacation Bible School in the evenings, and The Girl refuses to go. So while the other parents drop and run (to the local pub), I'm sitting around, making sure that The Boy doesn't "rev" up too much, and The Husband is home with The Girl, trying to find something edible.

This morning I made a gallon and a half of mac-n-cheese. It was surprisingly expensive and gross, in an "Omnivore's Delimma" sort of way. I swear, some marketer did some serious color analysis to find that pale orange hue -- it makes me happy just looking at it, and I don't even like mac-n-cheese! I was going to say, I should paint a room that color, but that would be very gross.

Not much on the schooling front. My Dear Friend is having trouble keeping her son officially "disabled". They insist that by age 9, his complete reliance on a cochlear implant should be transparent. Heh?

The weather is officially "broken" here. The high is going to be 89 and the low is going to be 72 -- for the next six months. Welcome to summer on the peninsula. I swear, we *were* going to keep a temperature graph this summer on the kitchen wall, but what's the point?!

The chickens continue to fascinate me. The only hitch now is that when they reach about three years old, they reach "hen-o-pause", and you have to replace them. And by replace, I mean kill and eat them. Oh deeeeeear... That's a hiccup in the plans. Maybe someone will do a hen exchange for me -- stew hen for chick. Sounds like they're getting the good end of the stick, and I won't have to kill a household pet. I have no idea how long they live, but I want eggs, dammit. I'm not fighting the zoning board for ordinary birds.

I'm also continuing drawing hen houses late into the night. The Husband thinks I'm crazy. Well, he *did* -- until he ran across a 1950's horror movie in which bored housewives turn to witchcraft and murder. Now, he's thinking $100 in lumber and hinges may not be such a bad deal after all! That's my man -- avoiding witchcraft and death. Think I can still get a new power jigsaw out of this deal...?

No comments: