Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dr. Livingston, I presume...

In a fit of insanity this morning, I took the kids to IKEA. Why is it that every time I leave that store, I feel as if I'd been on a two-week safari in Africa? I stumble out into the light and sink gratefully into the soft, welcoming driver's seat of my car.

The goal is to make this:


out of this Kivik sofa and his buddies:
Well, sort of. We've identified it as "Mid-Century Modern", and I had already decided to use the grid of square frames before I realized what the style was called. We're putting up reproductions of Florida citrus crate labels in  big square black frames. My grandmother worked at one of the plants in Eustis as a young woman, so it's kind of cool for us. All I need now is a funky lamp that the kids can't destroy. Wish me luck.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I want to see the finished results! (And if you find that lamp, let me know. We live in the Land of Broken Shades.)