Saturday, June 16, 2012

Help! My kid is turning into a surly teenager!

Oh. My. God. It's official.
EVERYTHING I SAY IRRITATES MY KID. Yes, he's 12, going on 13, and it's starting in earnest. My approach is:

"I understand that you're irritated." (Wait for yelling to stop.)
"I understand that you can't change the way you feel." (Wait for yelling to stop.)
"But you will change the way you behave or you'll be seeing a lot of your room in the next six years. Understand?"

I know, irritating, but I don't know what else to do. Besides actually follow through on the threat.

Ooh. I just tried it. He said, "No." Then he whined softly. We'll see how it goes. Past that, I'd take any advice you all have!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have none other than drink often and hang on. Not looking forward to that.