Friday, April 9, 2010

Don't worry honey -- we're all losers

My sister is having a low self-esteem month or two. Suffice to say, it's something to do with "how the kids turned out". The only consolation I can think of is that we're all failures, really.

No one's kids turn out to be charming, good looking, healthy, smart, motivated, sensible, and well-adjusted. You can really only hope for two or three on the list. She's got healthy and motivated. Sensible? Not so much.

Somehow, though, I think telling her, "Honey, we're all failures," isn't going to make her feel better. I had to settle for a truth I've known for many more years than that.

My sister is fearless, fierce, and a force to be reckoned with. She doesn't see it as much as I do, but whatever life hands this chick, she can throw back. Controlling, overbearing parents? No problem. No college education? No problem. Crazy, spendthrift, heart-of-gold husband? No problem? Working full-time in the armed services with small children? No problem. Multiple moves with only military movers to help? No problem. Finding time and freedom to enjoy as much retirement as she really wants? No problem. My sister if indomitable.

When I grow up, I want to be just like her.

No comments: