Sunday, December 25, 2011

So thankful...

So, so thankful.

I know what you're thinking -- she's thankful that it's over, right? No. I'm thankful for lots of things, most of them strange.

I'm thankful for food that's not made mostly of sugar. Lord knows I can't take anymore sugar. For at least three more hours. It's toast for dinner for me. Dry toast.

I'm thankful that I'm not my brother. In Iowa. Visiting his self-centered in-laws. "Let's schedule our 50th anniversary party over Christmas so we can make the kids all travel through the snow to visit us. And make sure they bring their spouses, so we can be free to do what we want when we're finished playing with the grandkids." I called their house this afternoon and told them strictly not to wake him up if he's napping. They yelled until he got up and answered the phone. *sigh* I told him not to stress as they'll be dead soon. If God is kind to us.

I'm thankful that my son didn't blow up suddenly at any point this Christmas. He almost melted down last night over a defective computer game he got for his birthday. As if Christmas doesn't overexcite him enough, his birthday is Christmas Eve. But he had a great Christmas. Even when my mom gave him a blue towel for Christmas. I think it was a gag gift to go with the $20 bill, but you never know with my mom.

I'm thankful for the dishwasher. Need I say more?

I'm thankful that I won't be cooking next year. No one eats the cookies or candies that I make, and I'm okay with that. We can do some Pepperidge Farms and Godiva next year, and no one will mind. I'll probably make some peanut brittle for my lovely husband, a pecan pie for my lovely dad, and a veggie cheese strata for my lovely mom. But that's all.

I'm thankful that my kids' brains didn't collapse, even though I left them to their own dietary devices this year. And they ate peanut M&M's all day. I realized with some chagrin this evening that I hadn't fed them all day and that they hadn't asked for anything. Oops. And I'm thankful that they didn't barf. Oh, and that they won't go bowlegged before tomorrow. Probably.

I'm thankful that my kids are growing up and I won't be going to the 5:00 children's church service next Christmas Eve. Enough is enough. Seriously, who has a "Happy Birthday Jesus" party and gives cake and punch to little kids at 5:15 on Christmas Eve? It's time for good music and candles again. The turning point is the year that the kids stay up later than you do. We're there, baby.

I'm thankful that no one was killed getting the 4x4 beam up into the attic to support the new cozy swing that hangs in my daughter's bedroom. What an ordeal! But my man and I pulled it off.

I'm thankful for my husband who helps me do the impossible. He's my counterweight, the Simon the my Garfunkel. Team Verge can take it down. "Tag me in! Tag me in!"

And I'm thankful for my internet buddies that help me when the husband doesn't get it. Thanks to you all! And merry Christmas!

And to all a good night...

2 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

All candy, all the time, here today, also...somehow, it worked.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for so much, too. Oh, your poor brother! I read that and cringed, we made the annual painful trek to my grandma's yesterday and I kept repeating in my head "not too many more years..."
Glad your kids kept it together--it's tough for all kids to be good at Christmastime.