Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hey, everyone needs a hobby...

What have we been doing lately? Well, the A/C guy came Tuesday and said that the evaporator is clogged and the supporting box (and its insulation) is saturated with water. He recommended that we have the evaporator replaced when we have the box replaced. Yeah, about $1000 worth of repairs.

Then the next day some crazy A/C company cold-called with an offer to do a free evaluation of the system. I said, "Sure, why don't you come over and give me an estimate to fix this mess." He came over, checked over the system, found we were low on freon, cleaned the condenser, and sold me a maintenance contract. Then he recommended his buddy who does mold remediation because my homeowner's insurance company would pay to fix the damage.

The remediation company came over on Thursday, put in four extremely loud dehumidifiers and two deafening high-speed fans, and said they'd be back to test the air on Saturday. After two nights of NO SLEEP, they came Saturday and said that the supporting box under the evaporator is still wet, so they left the dehumidifiers running until Monday morning when they'll try again.

In the mean time, I'm going deaf. And I'm getting cranky from yelling over the noise of the fans. I'm tired of having to sleep on my kid's top bunk because there's a dehumidifier roaring in my bedroom. I'm tired of it all!

On the plus side, I get to redecorate the second bathroom! Yeah, the caulk failed at the back of the vanity top, allowing the pressboard to get soaked and then mildewed. It's been on my to-do list for some time now. I found a new solid-wood vanity and an inexpensive vanity top. The thing now is that the old vanity was 34 inches wide, and a standard vanity is 31 inches wide, so the vinyl flooring will need to be fixed/replaced in order to avoid looking like white trash live here. While we're replacing the vinyl, we may as well replace the toilet which has a broken lid and doesn't flush right. So, now we're looking at linoleum and a low-flow toilet that will flush a beach towel. Grand total for materials? About $1000. Oy Vey. That's about the same amount that I was willing to pay the first A/C company to replace the evaporator and support box.

Hey, if the economy doesn't turn around soon, it won't be my fault!

1 comment:

S. said...

I feel your pain on the vanity thing. We remodeled our bathroom last year after living with vinyl flooring for the last six years because the people who were here before us had *CARPET* in the bathroom. Carpet, I say. In a bathroom. In a one-bathroom house. And I swear sometimes my house is out to get me by having everything break at once. Home ownership sometimes seriously sucks!! Good luck with it all!